Our shattered dreams are never random. They are always a piece in a larger puzzle, a chapter in a larger story.

Larry Crabb

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Just a little Update Before I forget!

I wanted to write somethings down before I forget them.

On Friday night Kenzie and I went out for a mommy and daughter date, which is always special, however at bed time that night the really special conversation took place.  I was sing "Jesus Loves Me", and Kenzie asked me, "Mommy what does Jesus look like?"  Hmmm I was about to give the Sunday school picture description of Jesus to Kenzie when I paused and thought about the area of the World that Jesus was born in, so we talked about that and what he may have looked liked.  At one point I said that Jesus most likely had a beard and that he lived in a country called Israel. Kenzie quickly said, "Mommy I want to talk to Jesus on the phone."  So I told Kenzie that we did not need a phone to talk to Jesus.  We could talk to him the same way we talk to each other.  I did tell Kenzie though that if she wanted to use a phone she could. 

I kept asking myself if what I was saying was age appropriate, and how to do I keep thing age appropriate with out watering down the truth?  Am I spouting off the typical "Sunda1y School" answers I was taught without thinking them through and if they were accurate or not. 

For example back when I was in in Bible College a prof did an experiment by simply asking my class, "How did Elijah go to Heaven?"  We ALL answered in a chariot of fire. Guess what?  We were all wrong. The correct answer is Elijah was whisked to heaven in a whirl wind!  Our prof then asked us how we came up with the answer of a Chariot of Fire.  We all answered from Sunday school.  He proceeded to show us a picture of the Sunday school curriculum being used at one of the local churches and the picture was that of Elijah in a Chariot of fire going to Heaven.  Hmmm.  This lesson from at least 8 years ago has stuck with me and served as a reminder that I want my kids to know the truth.  Now really in terms of Salvation whether or not Elijah went to heaven in a whirl wind or a Chariot of Fire does not really matter.  The point for me is I do not want to water things down, nor do I want to sensationalize them simply because it makes for a better story.



 I love this picture of father and daughter

 
 We had some amazing weather this past week and we sure did take advantage of it

 
 Just chilling and eating his sisters clean underwear

 
It is hard to believe that this peacefully sleeping girl could ever get mad enough to scream and tell us she is not happy with with us!  Yet it is true she has her moments!
 
 
I know I have said it before and I will say it again.  Kenzie is a fireball!  I love how quick she is to say things.  For example yesterday morning we were taking a bath and she said, "Mommy I peed in the bath tub!"  I said, "Thanks!"  She replied, "Your welcome!  Anything to Help mommy!"  Seriously where does she come up with things like that?
 
So we have figure out that anything with RED food coloring and dyes are a big no, no for Jaris.  Yesterday he found the Skittle I had gotten for Kenzie as a treat on our date night and with in 20 minutes of having the left overs he was hyper and crazy!  He is finally starting to come out of it 20 some odd hours later!  I enjoy the fact that we know there are certain types of candy that are safe for him to eat, and I think we will just stick with those for now.

3 comments:

Jen Glen said...

I know a few people with certain dye coloring "allergies". I always find them so intriguing. I mean what's in the red that's not in the blue? But great that you discovered it! That will help! I also commend you for wanting your kids to know the truth about all the Bible stories. As a Sunday School teacher I try very hard to be accurate when telling the stories, but you're right, it's those darn pictures! :)

Trev and Rebekah said...

I love the conversation you had with her. Great post and the comment about pee made me smile.

If you are worried about Red dyes check out yellow too...it might also cause some issues. YOu can get dye free candies at health food stores for him to try. Glad you are slowing figuring it out!

Jen Glen said...

I realized after rereading my comment that my putting allergies in quotations may have come off as me not thinking they are. That was not the case at all. I just don't know what you call colour dye sensitivities. Is it a food allergy? Or a sensitivity? I don't know!