Our shattered dreams are never random. They are always a piece in a larger puzzle, a chapter in a larger story.

Larry Crabb

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Wishing for a Safe Haven




I love this photo of Kenzie with her cousin James from this summer!  My kids absolutely adore their cousins, and I feel so blessed that my children and so loved by all of their cousins.  They truly are amazing amazing group of young people.

Jeral and I have been talking lately about how blessed we are and how at times we long to just have a "normal" life.  We constantly have people coming and going from our home.  We are constantly consulting with others as to what is the best path for us to take as a family.  I know that many people thrive off of that and would love to have the "extra" help and input.  We are just in a place of input over load.  If money was no object and if we would not miss our families so much I think we would pack up and buy a tiny deserted island to live out the rest of our days as a family.  It would be our haven from constantly being asked to justify every decision we make.  I know that to some who live in countries where the government does not help with funding for the treatment of children with autism I may sound ungrateful.  That is not my intent.  I know how fortunate we are to be able to provide the therapies that my son needs - I also know first hand that the funding we get does not cover it all - we are paying for some of his therapies personally.  I guess I am grieving the life I had thought we would have when we had children and how drastically things have changed this year.

I decided that I was going to start attending the Bible Study at our church again, and then I decided I am not going too.  While I know many LOVE doing Beth Moore Studies, and I am sure she is a lovely person there is something about her that drives me bonkers.  While I do crave connecting with other women (in a setting that does not revolve around my  children, and is less anxiety producing) I realized ladies Bible Study is not where I am at and I am totally okay with that.

One more rant for the day.  There has been an article making it way around Facebook, about Jenny McCarthy Being Dangerous.  While I may not agree with everything that she had said in regards to vaccinations being the cause of Autism, and that the Gluten and Dairy Free diet is a cure for Autism etc., I am very tired of people picking on her.  I think that we are forgetting that she is a mother, and as a mother when your child is diagnosed with a disorder such as Autism you will turn over every stone and look behind every corner to find help for your child and to find answers.  There is no rhyme or reason as to why some children like my son are born with their brain pathways wired different than the rest of typical society.  It is a mystery that I hope and pray will be solved in my life time and that we will be able to help children like Jaris and so many others to a greater extent.  Instead of picking on her and borderline bullying her, try to remember that she is just a mom who wants to help her child.  Instead of judging, and offering sympathy, try empathy!  As a mother of a child who has Autism, I know first had the blessings my son is, and I know how I would give everything including my own life to help him make sense of this world that he lives in.  One that does not make sense to him all the time.  I know the research behind vaccinations and that for the most part science says there is no link between vaccinations and autism.  We tried the gluten free and dairy free diet and it was a bust for us.  I also know that I am curios and educated enough to research the latest fads/therapies for Autism, and that I so long to know why Jaris has to face this struggle.  So because of that I have grace and compassion for a woman who happens to be a celebrity, and who also is a mom.


Oh and just to note we did not put Hayden in the dryer, he climbed in himself.  Apparently he thinks it is the best place ever!

No comments: