Our shattered dreams are never random. They are always a piece in a larger puzzle, a chapter in a larger story.

Larry Crabb

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Greed

I was challenged today by a discussion that happened in the grade 7 class that I am a learning aide for. We were talking about greed, and the truth of greed being the source of suffering for many people. I made a comment to the class that even those of us who donate clothes to the poor need to take a closer look at what we are doing. Are we donating old clothes because we have just bought our selves new clothes or are we giving away new stuff. I had never thought about the fact that sometimes I could go out and by new clothes just to give away. The reality I think my clothes right now are very functional and work just fine, and well yes I do like new things (new clothes included, if I can find something I feel good and comfortable in) do I need new things?

Recently I have been blessed with and amazing husband who provided so very well for me. He has given me a beautiful home, a new car, anything I feel I need or want pretty much I can have. The more I have been given the more I find at times I want and the more I compare myself to others. To our neighbours, to people who well lets just say this one person has more money than almost anyone would know what to do with. When I say that I would be happy living in a cardboard box with my husband am I really serious about that, or am I just saying it because I can say it. I grew up with very little and now all of a sudden having lots is a little overwhelming. What happened to the Leanne who was okay with not a lot? I am not say that if one has lots that they must give it all up. Not all. I think what I am trying to say is what is our motivation. Am I giving away cloths to the Salvation Army because I have just bought a bunch of new clothes for my self and don't know what to do with the old stuff, or am I giving clothes, both new and old away because I see a need and I want to do what I can to fill it. I pray my motivation will be the latter. Okay so that is my rambling for the day.

Blessings, Leanne

No comments: