Our shattered dreams are never random. They are always a piece in a larger puzzle, a chapter in a larger story.

Larry Crabb

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Grandma's Legacy

About a week ago Jeral and I went to Kelowna for the day. We got some much needed shopping done. I normally like to have my Christmas shopping done by now. However I can have some grace for myself considering this is our first Christmas being married and we have new family members on both sides. It takes a bit to figure out what to get for all the new family members.

After we did our shopping we went to my grandma's place, where my cousin and I made dinner for the 4 of us (Grandma, Char, Jeral and myself). It was a very yummy dinner. Homemade Chicken Cordon Blue, brown rice, ,mixed veggies and caesar salad, with apple pie and ice cream for dessert. Grandma always feel badly that now her grandchildren come and cook for her. However, I personally think it is about time we young ones do things for her. Growing up I remember grandma making the best perishki(not sure how to spell it), perogies, homemade soups, zwiebach. If we were going to grandma's house we knew we would be fed well. Once grandma went blind well her cooking was never the same, and understandably so. As grandma gets on in her years the reality is that she will not be around forever. This time that reality sunk in a little more. Over the years grandma has had many health issues, and she always seems to bounce back, and I have seen her in the hospital on numerous occasions, and for some reason she looked the most frail she ever has to me during this last visit. Normally grandma gets up and meets us at the door. This time she was barely off the couch by the time I got in and brought all the food to the kitchen.

Even though grandma is physically frail, she is no slouch in the spiritual world. My grandma is a huge prayer warrior. For as long as I can remember she has signed all my birthday cards, "Love your Praying Grandma". If I needed someone to pray I knew I could always count on grandma to be willing to pray and most often before I would even ask her to pray about something she had been praying for quite some time already.

It may be true that my grandma can no longer cook and host people the way she used to. However she can still pray. That is one thing age cannot take away from her. Actually I think that her prayer life has gotten sweeter with age, and as a grandchild of hers I am happy that they legacy she has left to us is not a legacy of cooking, instead it is a legacy of prayer. And I for one will miss her prayers when she is gone. So until that day I plan on asking her to pray for lots.

On a funny note. Apparently my grandma is also a little bit of a sweet talker, because even in the midst of a busy schedule grandma still gets my husband to agree to make more trips out to visit. I shake my head sometimes at that and then laugh.

1 comment:

Trev and Rebekah said...

Yeah, Trev and I are reading that book from Brad. It's good.
I love that a lot of old people are the prayer warriors. Makes one think about who will take their place when they go to Heaven.