Our shattered dreams are never random. They are always a piece in a larger puzzle, a chapter in a larger story.

Larry Crabb

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Taking A Break

Well where do I begin. I have not been a peace lately about a lot of things. I have been feeling anxious about this upcoming Christmas. I have been feeling really anxious about us trying to get pregnant, and then feeling as though I was a failure as a wife and woman every month I was not pregnant. As I took time to reflect with a trusted and very appreciated woman in my life I realized that since Jeral and I got married there has not been a time when I was relaxed, and rested. When we first got married I was working with a very stressful group of kids. I loved those kids like crazy, and yet working with them was very stressful. I came home grumpy and cranky, and Jeral was the one who had to deal with me. I always felt awful about that and would tend to retreat to our room and when I would hear Jeral coming to bed I would quickly turn off the lights and pretend to be asleep just so I wouldn't have to talk anymore that day.

Once we decided that I would not work outside of the home anymore we immediately started fertility drugs, with the hope that they would help us get pregnant. Well they haven't and I am even more off my rocker on the fertility drugs than I was when I was working. Some days I am grumpy, and can cry at the drop of a hat, and because I don't want anyone to see me cry I drop whatever I am doing and run out of the room. We traded one crazy stress for another. And with this last round of drugs not working I was dreading having to start another round. Seriously I have entered into some very dark places being on the drugs and I knew I couldn't do that again, especially with Christmas coming up. Both December and January have some very painful memories for me as a child and adult. So to add clomid and progesterone into the mix was not something I wanted to do.

Therefore we are taking a break. A year long break. I know WHAT????? I felt very strongly that Jesus was asking me to give Him a year where trying to get pregnant wasn't such a huge focus for me. A year where I wasn't working and could learn to rest, relax, have fun, and work on healing some of my most painful memories as a child. At first my reaction was well I guess I don't have a choice Jesus since you are God you will do what you want to do. And as I told this to Joy, she said something that hit me. She said, "Leanne I wish you loved your self enough to say okay what can I do in the next year to take care of myself and become healthy, so I can be the best mom possible to a little girl someday." What got me was the phrase "I wish you loved your self enough". The reality is that I have also struggled with not feeling good about myself and not really even liking myself. Something that I am working on big time. And I also always feel that I have to justify resting and now not working. Therefore taking this break is not just about trying to get my body to better place of health before a baby it is also about learning to love myself as Jesus loves me so I can then be a mom who loves her children whether they are biological or adopted and also be a mom who can model to her children loving oneself, and being content in who I am knowing that others may not always have good opinion of me, and that is okay. Still working on that!

So here is to taking a break!

7 comments:

Leanne said...

Proud of you... Praying that this will be your "year of Jubilee".

Kelsie-Lynn said...

WOW! That is a huge step that you are making and you show so much strength in making it! Good for you! I know God will honour and bless you for being obedient.

Trev and Rebekah said...

I am glad you are taking this step. It is so important to love oneself and take care of yourself so you can be a better mom. If I got pregnant when I had wanted to I don't think I would have been the best mom I could be. God knew what he was doing.

Trev and Rebekah said...

I am glad you are taking this step. It is so important to love oneself and take care of yourself so you can be a better mom. If I got pregnant when I had wanted to I don't think I would have been the best mom I could be. God knew what he was doing.

Bunny said...

I feel like I'm reading my own blog, except for the fertility drugs. Especially the loving oneself or taking care of oneself. These two things are so important in being who God wants us to be as women. Not just mothers, but WOMEN. He wants us to love ourselves and in order to do that, we need to take care of ourselves. I pray that God will bless you in the next year in a way that you can never imagine. That God would reach down to you and hold you as you are. That you will feel HIS love so completely, that you will never doubt how much HE loves you and how beautiful you are to HIM.
I pray that HE will guard your heart and prepare you for what HE is going to do in your life and what HE will show you. He has a very special plan for your life. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11. Many blessings. Christina

Janelle said...

you can do this Leanne. because i've known from the moment i met you that you are one of the strongest women i've ever known. i'm proud of you - i will be praying for you, and i hope one day i can have the faith that you do. i love ya.

Cordella said...

I loved this post because it is a reminder for me to rest with God as well. I think it is so hard in our driven world to break and not feel guilty about it.... but wow, God wants to spend time with us!! Thanks for the reminder....