Our shattered dreams are never random. They are always a piece in a larger puzzle, a chapter in a larger story.

Larry Crabb

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Happy Birthday My Son




A year ago I was in labour and soon to give birth to my amazing little boy Jaris Zachery Krahn. I still have a hard time believing that tomorrow he is going to 1 year old. Wow time has gone by so fast. I still remember the day he was born. It is hard not too especially with all the extra things that happened yet the thing I remember the most was how he wanted to just look at me. After I was stabilized, Jaris was placed back on my chest and for the rest of the night he snuggled in and would lift his head a bit just to look and then snuggle back in. He was so tiny, and so fragile. I remember looking at his tiny chest as he was breathing and counting his ribs. He was perfect in every way. This past months have gone by so fast.


So as we celebrate your first year of life my son I want to write down a some memories. For the first two months of his life he refused to sleep anywhere except on my chest, and then after then he nestled in to the crook of my arm. If I put him in the play pen or crib I got less rest so sleeping with mommy it was.


We got the biggest scares of our lives when we Jaris had to undergo some genetic testing. We knew no matter how the tests came back our love for Jaris would not change. I remember crying as we thought about the future we had hoped for with you and how that might all change, yet still knowing that no matter what we loved you and that was a constant. When all the test came back and nothing was wrong I was so relieved, and yet still baffled as to your weak muscles and rather larger head! Despite all the test coming back normal we still had our fears. However then as time went on and we set out goals for you to meet with our help you meet them all a head of schedule. So many firsts in this past year.


First smile, first laugh, first time rolling over, first time commando crawling, first time sitting up on your own, first time crawling, first time pulling your self up to standing, first time sleeping in your own room (I sure did not sleep that night as I was constantly afraid I would not hear you crying), first time furniture walking, first time eating oat cereal, first time eating solid food, first word, which was buba, and then dada, first cold, first tooth. I have treasured every one of them including the first cold because of all the snuggles and cuddles I got. Oh and the first night of many when you were sleeping through the night! I look forward to many more first and whatever else may come in the years to come.


Jaris has this cute way of smiling at someone new when he meets them and then snuggling into me all shy like. I totally do not mind the snuggle in. I love hearing him babble to his sister and his dad in the mornings. I love how he will pick up his food and stuff it into his mouth.


My son is a miracle, and a gift. Never in a million years could i have imagine how this past year was and how amazing it is being Jaris' mom. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Happy Birthday Jaris! THinking of you today ;0)

Ashlea said...

Happy Birthday Jaris! Were you early with him Leanne? I forget your official due date, but for some reason I was thinking April.