Our shattered dreams are never random. They are always a piece in a larger puzzle, a chapter in a larger story.

Larry Crabb

Friday, December 19, 2008

Learning to Have Fun and Be a Kid Again

I am learning to be a kid again. I know that some of you are going what, you have always been a kid and acted like a kid. I am not talking about acting childish and immature (however I have had my many moments like that). I am talking about learning to have fun and learning to play, even if no little kids are around to play with.

I mean who says that coloring in coloring books (and coloring out of the lines) is for 2-12 year olds? Why is is not socially acceptable for a 30 year old to color? Why do we cringe at the idea of asking other adults to color with us. I really felt that Jesus was saying to me in my session with my counsellor this past week to just be a kid and color, and to ask my counsellor to color with me. Oiy!!!! I was a little worried that she was going to look at me all weird and think I was going off the deep end. Instead she said yes, and since I had the felt pens we sat there for 40 minutes and colored. Now imagine seeing a 30 year old and a 60 year old sitting and coloring. What would be your first thoughts if you walked by and saw that? I know I would have wished I was free enough and secure enough to join them. Coloring is fun and enjoyable, so why is it that when we get to a certain age we stop, or we do more grown up things like paint, and if we are not very good at it then we just give up and say we are not creative? Then when we are older and married and we have kids of our own (or babysit) we start to color as long as it is with the kids and not by ourselves. Seriously am I the only one who thinks that there is something wrong with this. I love to color and so I am going to spend more time coloring and enjoy the fun of it, even if others think I am being childish. The truth is children are a lot more free to be who they are then we are as adults.

So I say bring on the coloring books, and the crayons!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Marcel and Aurelie said...

I love to colour, too! (I just don't get to do it very often)

Trev and Rebekah said...

Coloring is fun. I am glad you are learning to be a kid. I am thinking of you lots.

Janelle said...

oh my goodness. i LOVE LOVE LOVE coloring. i could color all day. wish you could come over & color today. just had a fight with one of my friends, and could use the coloring chat! :)

beans said...

So funny, I actually colored in one of Timmy's coloring books the other day when he wasn't home!